RSF is dedicated to the development of healthy food systems as a foundation for more vibrant and resilient regional economies. With a commitment to biodynamic and high integrity organic farming, we also see agriculture as critical to restoring the earth and environment, and supporting human health.
For enterprises working in food & agriculture, RSF has two loan options:
- Social Enterprise Lending
- PRI Fund
Social Enterprise Lending
RSF provides mortgage loans, construction loans, equipment loans and working lines of credit. Loans range from $200,000 to $5 million. Successful applicants to the Social Enterprise Lending Program will demonstrate the following:
- 3 or more years of operating history;
- Enterprise is profitable, or can demonstrate a clear path to profitability in 12 months;
- Annual revenue of $1 million or greater preferred.
In addition, the enterprise should be working in one of the following areas:
- Infrastructure – building components of the value chain that support a robust and resilient regional food system including aggregation, distribution, processing, packing, and equipment
- Food access – increasing access to wholesome and healthy food for people who need it most
- Food waste – redistributing food waste to food-insecure populations or to value-added processing for new consumer products
- Agricultural practices – producing grass-fed meat or practicing no-till, organic, and biodynamic farming to create healthier ecosystems and healthier product
The PRI Fund supports regional, sustainable food systems and is specifically focused on funding organizations addressing key issues in food production, food access, value-added processing, distribution, retail, and waste management.
Loans start at $50,000 for non-profit and for-profit social enterprises. Recipients of PRI loans must meet a set of strict criteria to demonstrate that funds will be used entirely for charitable purposes.
Apply for a Loan
If you are interested in a loan and your social enterprise meets these criteria, please fill out our online loan application.
Once we have received and approved your pre-application, a Lending Program representative will contact you to determine a fit and, if appropriate, invite you to submit a full loan application. This will require additional documentation, which generally includes historical and projected financial statements, board officer and management resumes, and a narrative business plan.
Contact Meredith Storton at email@example.com or 415.561.6167.
Click on the photos below to learn more about some of the enterprises we support.