Our three focus areas – Food & Agriculture, Education & the Arts, and Ecological Stewardship – consider the long-term impact our investments have on the market as a whole, and the people and places affected by our investments in particular.
Food & Agriculture
RSF is dedicated to exploring new economic models that support sustainable food and agriculture, while raising public awareness of the value of organic and Biodynamic farming. In particular, we seek projects that are characterized by the following values:
- Diversification, including on-farm diversity, diverse crops and animals, and diversity of food systems infrastructure, from value-added processing to distribution to retail;
- Region-first approaches, such as food systems that support the needs of a region before looking at export opportunities, regional applications and entities rather than global or national, and fair trade of place-based products between regions;
- Sustainable, as defined by social justice, ecological practices, and financial viability within all aspects of production, distribution, and retail.
Education & the Arts
RSF helps fund education and arts projects that are holistic and therapeutic, including the following:
- Education initiatives that address the intellectual, emotional, aesthetic, and social needs of children and adults, including therapeutic communities and integrative health practices;
- Fine arts and performing arts, especially those that foster spiritual awareness or increase access to learning and the arts for all communities;
- Entrepreneurship, job training, consumer education, and other awareness-building programs;
- Handicrafts produced and distributed according to fair trade principles.
RSF provides funding to organizations and projects devoted to sustaining, regenerating, and preserving the earth’s ecosystems, especially integrated, systems-based, and culturally-relevant approaches such as:
- Biomimicry, energy- and eco-efficiency;
- Green building materials and green consumer products;
- Ecological remediation and restoration, land conservation, and land trusts;
- Environmental legal defense, including projects supporting rights, indigenous cultures, and Commons.