Business Development Director
RSF Social Finance is a nonprofit organization dedicated to using the tools of finance to bring about positive, real-world change. Our goal is not only to make capital available to groundbreaking social enterprises; it’s to transform the way people work with money. RSF supports a broad range of nonprofit and for-profit social enterprises in the fields of Food & Agriculture, Education & the Arts, and Climate & the Environment. Primary services include our investing and lending programs, philanthropic programs and services, and Integrated Capital Institute. In partnership with our investors and donors, RSF has made over $750 million in loans, investments and grants since 1984, placing us in the top tier of social finance organizations worldwide.
RSF seeks to hire a Director of Business Development who will apply their personal and professional experience and expertise to advance RSF’s mission, vision, and values. This position offers a unique opportunity for someone with significant lending experience to leverage their skillset to deploy well structured loans that support stable repayment while enabling impact. This person will play an integral role in developing a framework of lending through a social justice lens; supporting the adaptation of RSF practices to serve that purpose; and deploying capital across RSF products and impact areas through this framework.
- Manage the Business Development function (4 staff), overseeing the structuring of loans for term sheet issuance, rollovers, and troubled debt restructures.
- Create and manage a pipeline of customers and referral sources that leads to a minimum of $5-10 MM in annual loan production across all RSF products.
- Lead thinking and implementation around how a social justice framework can inform deployment strategies, processes, and policies.
- Serve as primary relationship manager to key borrower clients across focus areas to ensure credit quality and to minimize loan losses. Review maturing loans, annual reviews and present for renewal if applicable.
- Manage loan operations related to Business Development & Relationship Management including the implementation of a pipeline management system for the group’s KPI and reporting needs.
- 5-7 years working in a CDFI, community bank or private debt fund
- Has evaluated, structured, and deployed capital directly to social enterprises (not funds, intermediaries)
- Has structured direct debt deals requiring creativity and financial savvy to support repayment while enabling impact
- Has experience or is excited to lead a lending function through the lens of social justice across impact areas
- Has experience managing or mentoring a team of individuals and accustomed to being held accountable to performance
Location: San Francisco, California preferred. Open to remote under certain circumstances.
Please click here and select the “apply now” button, fill out the application questions, and attach your resume along with a thoughtful cover letter. In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in the mission, values, and activities of RSF Social Finance. Please also share how your skills and experience would make you successful in this role.
Please note that applications with typos and without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please.
RSF Social Finance complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and encourages and seeks qualified candidates from people of all backgrounds. Our goal is to ensure an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at our organization. We welcome applicants of all educational backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, ages, citizenships, socioeconomic statuses, disabilities, and veteran statuses, and we’d love to learn about what you can add to our team.