Senior Relationship Manager, Lending
RSF Social Finance is an impact-focused financial intermediary committed to reimagining and transforming the economy. Centering relationships, RSF uses the tools of finance to bring about positive, real-world change. Through lending, investing and giving we change the way people relate to and activate money. We connect social enterprises with various forms of capital to contribute to a more just, regenerative, and compassionate world. As a not-for-profit, RSF supports a broad range of social enterprises in the fields of Food & Agriculture, Education & the Arts, and Climate & the Environment. Primary services include our investing and lending programs and philanthropic programs and services. In partnership with our investors and donors, RSF has made over $800 million in loans and grants since 1984, placing us in the top tier of social finance organizations worldwide.
The Senior Relationship Manager (SRM) is responsible for managing a portfolio of clients. In addition to being the primary point of contact and key financial advisor for the client, the SRM is accountable for prospecting new business and retaining and deepening existing relationships. The SRM analyzes the client’s social and environmental impact, financial and operating strategies and recommends alternative or additional financial services to best meet the client’s immediate and long-term personal and organizational needs. The SRM will have the ability to forge relationships with the appropriate decision makers within the client organization. The SRM is also responsible for leading, directing and coordinating key extended team members in the analysis and execution in the effective delivery of their products and services to clients and prospects. This involves coordinating client involvement by the team’s specialists in credit and loan operations. To effectively perform this role, the SRM must be well versed in all RSF products and services for proper identification of cross-selling opportunities. The SRM is expected to consistently network in the community and with centers of influence.
- Maintains and grows a profitable book of clients through disciplined and proactive business development and relationship management.
- Develops strategies to deepen impact within RSF’s strategic focus areas.
- Is highly focused on our target client profile; understands their social and environmental impact, financial needs, and effectively communicates our value proposition.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge of RSF products and services. Analyzes the needs of clients and prospects to effectively recommend appropriate products or services.
- Attains established production goals through active participation in sales management process.
Participates in community events and networking activities to increase awareness and presence of RSF in their respective community.
- Leverages Salesforce, Sageworks, Sharefile and other systems.
- Manages loan deployment process, including initial due diligence and financial review, term sheet structure, diligence package collection, contributing to approval request, approval of loan documentation, and closing coordination.
- Experience with food systems finance, social and economic justice finance and/or renewable energy finance is a plus.
- Takes ownership for client relationship with RSF.
- Prioritizes relationships effectively and has an appropriate relationship management plan for each client.
- Takes a consultative approach to understanding our client’s objectives, effectively identifies their financial needs, implements appropriate financial solutions, and undertakes ongoing review and assessment to ensure plan execution.
- Effectively collaborates with credit, loan operations and senior management to ensure an excellent client experience.
- Works internally and externally to meet mutually beneficial outcomes with borrowers experiencing challenging times.
- Anticipates client needs.
- Understands and addresses key relationship stakeholders, and key buying influences.
- Maintains a working knowledge of RSF’s credit policies and procedures which impact commercial relationships.
- Collects and reviews portfolio compliance, including measurement of covenants in collaboration with the Credit & Portfolio Management team.
Teamwork & Leadership
- Participates in team meetings and supports shared responsibilities/projects as needed directed by VP of Lending.
- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works ethically and with integrity; upholds organizational values; accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Exhibits leadership by example, pursuing high performance and professionalism.
- Completes any training requirements, follows policies and procedures, maintains proficient knowledge of the rules and regulations, completes administrative tasks correctly and on time, and supports RSF’s goals and values
- Support RSF’s Community Pricing Gatherings as needed
- Other items as directed by the VP of Lending
- 5-7 years of Commercial Lending, Business Development, Commercial Credit and Portfolio Management experience in community development lending, small business, or middle market sector.
- Management of an extensive portfolio of clients with annual revenues of $750,000 – $50 million.
- Proven track record of prospecting new business and enhancing existing relationships.
- Proven sales skills and experience.
- Must be able to assess and analyze financial conditions of clients and the industry trends.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Sageworks a plus.
- Undergraduate degree in business, finance or economics preferred.
- Capable of organizing, facilitating, leading and negotiating with team of RSF associates to solve client issues.
- Ability to understand and interpret financial statements and cash flow analysis required.
- Experience working with both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and experience with one or multiple of the following: Social enterprises, social and economic justice organizations, climate change, renewable energy project finance and/or food & agriculture.
- Commitment to the purpose, values, and operating principles that inform RSF’s work.
- Collaborative leader and culture carrier with demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Strong client service orientation essential.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, critical thinking, and ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with data entry.
- Ability to perform duties efficiently and effectively with accuracy and within designated timeframes.
- PC proficient, including MS Office Suite (Expert level Word and Excel skills required).
- Knowledge of MS SharePoint preferred.
- May be located anywhere in the U.S., provided the employee attends meetings in the Bay Area and client meetings anywhere in the U.S. as required.
- Must be able to work during RSF’s during regular Pacific Time office hours.
- Must be available to occasionally work outside of regular office hours when needed.
RSF Social Finance is an equal opportunity employer; candidates representing a diversity in backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.