Updated November 20, 2014
We currently have one open position:
RSF also offers Internship and Fellowship programs each year.
RSF Social Finance seeks to hire a full-time Senior Commercial Underwriter who will both underwrite commercial loans to the most catalytic social entrepreneurs in the USA and Canada, and manage RSF’s processes for underwriting and portfolio management. Primary duties include underwriting and obtaining credit approval for formula-based ARIF lines of credit, equipment loans, and commercial owner-occupied real estate credits; loan monitoring and compliance; managing RSF’s underwriting, loan monitoring, and portfolio management procedures and reporting; and partnering with lending managers to ensure effective communication, hand-offs, and values-aligned client engagement. This position supervises a credit analyst.
- Evaluate risk, social impact, and financial sustainability of new and existing clients.
- Underwrite new loans, amendments, and roll-overs that meet RSF’s standards for credit quality, social impact, and revenue targets.
- Perform financial analysis and research for new loan inquiries.
- Conduct industry analysis to examine suitability of potential clients.
- Collaborate with lending managers and documentation team to develop appropriate loan structures to manage credit and risks of the loans.
- Recommend and present credits for approval to the RSF Credit Committee. Serve as a voting member of the RSF Credit Committee.
- Present loans for approval to the RSF Board Loan Committee. Coordinate and communicate with Board Loan Committee members as needed.
- Manage the underwriting pipeline and process from executed term sheets to funding.
- Develop and administer underwriting procedures and tools.
- Recommend, develop, and implement credit monitoring and measurement tools.
- Recommend and implement loan flow process improvements.
- Administer RSF’s Credit and Loan Policies.
- Oversee the review of borrowing base certificates and disbursement requests for accuracy and compliance with loan terms.
- Manage the monitoring of borrower financial performance and compliance with all reporting and financial covenants, including social impact assessments.
- Assess and sign off on documented compliance exceptions.
- Liaise and engage with clients to discuss financial performance and growth plans.
- Serve as a resource for lending managers and credit analysts regarding credit and portfolio matters.
- Supervise Associate, Credit & Portfolio Management. Conduct weekly meetings, quarterly work plan reviews, and annual performance and development reviews. Monitor supervisee attendance; review and submit timesheets.
- Assist with special projects and provide support to the Director, Portfolio Management & Loan Operations as needed.
- Occasionally attend and participate in RSF Community Pricing Meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An undergraduate degree, preferably in Business or Finance
- Minimum 5 years of recent credit underwriting experience in a commercial credit department of a community bank, credit union, CDFI, or similar financial institution
- Experience with both for-profit and not-for-profit clients
- Passion for, and familiarity with, social finance, social enterprise
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to produce initial credit memorandums for approval, articulate RSF’s lending philosophy and loan products, and converse by telephone with potential and existing clients
- Demonstrated analytical ability, including the ability to understand repayment risks in various industries and mitigate them to the satisfaction of RSF and social entrepreneurs
- Experience implementing projects and credit and loan policies and procedures
- Demonstrated passion for developing a strong and sustainable credit culture
- Self-motivated credit professional that is comfortable operating in a changing industry
- Supervisory experience preferred but not required
Compensation & Benefits:
This position offers the unique opportunity to join an innovative financial services organization with a vision to transform the way the world works with money. Other benefits include:
- A fulfilling work environment at an supportive and entrepreneurially-driven organization
- A competitive compensation package including employer-paid medical, dental, and vision
- Very generous vacation and sick leave benefits plus nine paid holidays per year
- 403(b) plan with employer-paid contributions after one year of employment
- Exposure to innovative ideas, projects, and collaborative staff activities
- Access to numerous professional development opportunities
Please submit your resume via e-mail to HR@rsfsocialfinance.org along with a thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter please include the following:
- Outline your experience underwriting commercial loans to small/medium sized businesses.
- Why, in your opinion, is it important that a lending institution have a strong credit culture?
- What excites you about lending to non-profit and for-profit social enterprises?
In the e-mail subject line, please write “Senior Commercial Underwriter”.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please.
The application deadline is Sunday, December 7th.
RSF Social Finance is an equal opportunity employer; candidates representing a diversity of backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In the spirit of building the field of social finance, RSF Social Finance offers fellowship and internship programs each year open to talented college students and recent graduates.
Social Impact Fellowship
Various locations across the US and Canada
Each year, RSF seeks exceptional, analytical, and entrepreneurial Social Impact Fellows to serve in an eight month Fellowship role. Open to graduate students and professionals within the US and Canada who are seeking a career in social finance, Social Impact Fellows identify, vet, and pitch promising social impact businesses and organizations to RSF for financing (senior-secured debt.) The Fellow is responsible for scanning and understanding the local, regional, and national landscape for high potential innovations, trends, and movements within RSF’s focus areas that emphasize the creation of social value and impact; sourcing for-profit and non-profit social enterprises that exhibit both financial sustainability and significant social impact; conducting preliminary due diligence including financial analysis and underwriting on live deals within RSF’s pipeline; and presenting the business case for investment to senior staff at RSF. Successful Fellows will gain a reputation for his/her strategic ability to spot and qualify ground-breaking and pioneering approaches to solving pressing social problems through business.
The fellows for 2014-2015 have been selected. Check back for future opportunities.
Internship positions are typically available during the summer term of each year, in which Intern(s) work closely with one or more departments within RSF. Exact duties and qualifications for the position(s) vary from year to year. Internships are paid, and require an on-site commitment of 10-12 weeks over the summer. Internships are typically announced by March 1st of each year, with an application deadline of mid-to-late March. Unfortunately, RSF is unable to offer an internship program for Summer 2014. Graduate students should consider applying for the Social Impact Fellows program for the 2014-15 school year.
- Printed from http://rsfsocialfinance.org/jobs/